Thursday, February 03, 2005

011: Living in the LOW Numbers

I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks so, but to me living in the LOW numbers (this is '05 now... we just finished up with '04...) is just not as exciting as life in the HIGH numbers was.

Now, because I'm feeling fragmented and weird tonight, I'm going to change the subject and talk about something unrelated: But I don't know what...

I have a little pocket notebook (filled with paper, not electronics) that I write notes and ideas into when I'm walking around or sitting in class, and in this notebook I've written down a ton of THINGS for me to write about here on the blog... But, after I've written them down in the book, I usually tend to lose interest. I guess the jotting down of the note takes all of the fun and spontenaity out of it for me... I think of this site as my own little slice of whatever the smurf is on my mind at the moment, so planning ahead never seems to pan out...

Remember a few days ago when I said I was planning on copying some of my old (I mean "CLASSIC") journal entries into here? (Probably not, if this is the first entry you've ever read...) Well, if you'll notice, I DIDN'T... I even wrote some NEW stuff (when I should have been doing homework a few nights ago) but I never bothered to actually type it into here... Either I'm just a lazy person, or I have an overwhelming sense of apathetic irony. I LIKE making a liar of myself...

New thought: Can we ever really have a NEW thought??? I guess... This is pretty boring isn't it... If Seinfeld can make an entire TV show out of nothing I suppose I can make a blog about the same thing...

I'm not even going to bother re-reading this chunk for spelling errors... The quicker I post it and move on to something else the better...

Actually, I did encounter something a few days ago (no... it was yesterday) that I found pretty interesting: I am currently the poetry editor of the Salmon Creek Journal, a literary publication put out by Washington State University at Vancouver, and an interesting phenomenon was brought up at our last meeting. Apparently, someone who had some materials, either a story or a poem, published in a previous issue of the journal contacted the editor and asked to have her work removed from the archives. I don't quite understand why someone would do that... I mean, I would think that a publishing credit would be a GOOD thing for a writer, whether it's in a college published journal or in a slick trade magazine. So, why would someone want the record of their work REMOVED???

Maybe she thinks the story or poem (whatever it was) is terrible now and doesn't want anyone to see how bad she was when she started. Maybe the materials were about a particular person who she no longer wants to be associated with or reminded of... Maybe she has recently sold the story to another magazine, said it had never been published before, and doesn't want the new company to realize they aren't getting "first publication rights." I don't know.

As far as wanting old CRAP that you wrote destroyed, even if it was really bad compared to your new work, SOMEONE on the editorial staff of the journal apparently thought it was good enough to be included in their issue. Isn't that good enough? Regardless of the reasons behind her request, we decided not to take the work out of the archive. The main reason is that the archives are PDF files, so to "take out" her pages would be a bit of work, but we also worried that removing one persons items might open the door for others to ask to have their stuff taken out as well and then the integrity of the entire archive would be compromised... And I guess that's a bad thing...

I write long posts, don't I...

Moving on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home